Skip to content ↓
Pilgrims English Language Courses

Pilgrims English Language Courses

Frequently Asked Questions

Course Information

What are the actual course days?

Your core training course will take place from Monday 9 am till Friday 3.30 pm. In addition you have a choice of afternoon and evening sessions most of the days at 4 pm and 8 pm.
The published arrival/departure days are travelling days and include first Sunday and the last Saturday of the course.

Who do I contact if I’m not sure which course to choose?

Pilgrims offers a wide range of courses. As you can see on the website, each course comes with a description of the training content, objectives and suggestions for who the course is designed for. We strongly suggest you carefully read the course description for the courses you are interested and then, if you feel you have further questions, please contact Lizzie: for more advice.

Will there be a language improvement element to my course?

Yes, all elements of your course are designed to improve and update your English. The English language is constantly changing and developing and our international environment provides the best opportunities for you to keep practicing your speaking, listening and new language acquisition. 

Where will my course take place?


The majority of your lessons, afternoon and evening sessions will take place in the Cornwallis building on the University Campus. Address: Cornwallis North West, University of Kent, Canterbury, Kent CT2 7NF

Outside of Summer

We advise you of your training centre address in writing before your course.

Am I able to change my course once I am there?

Yes, but only in exceptional circumstances. You must obtain written permission from your national agency if you have come on an EU grant to change your course.

The latest you can change your course is on the first Tuesday morning of a two week course.

It is not possible to change if you are on a one-week course.

Funding & Payments

Can I apply for EU funding to cover my course fees?

EU funding is available to all EU countries and their residents. If you are a different nationality but are living and working in one of the EU countries you can also apply for the grant from the EU. The funding covers some of the costs of the course, including accommodation, food and travel. All Pilgrims courses are eligible for EU funding. You apply for an Erasmus+ grant. Please click here for more information


How do I apply for EU funding?

We have a whole page explaining everything you need to know about applying for Erasmus+ funding. Please click here

What happens if I don't get funding?

If you don't succeed with your Erasmus+ funding and are unable to come you must tell us IMMEDIATELY.

As long as you cancel your booking at least five weeks before the course start date there is no cancellation charge. After that date a charge may be imposed. Please note that Pilgrims reserves the right to keep the full fees if you cancel your reservation after the course starts. 

When is the deadline for the payment?

To guarantee your booking please make sure the payment reaches Pilgrims account no later than four weeks before the course start date. If for any reason you are unable to make the payment in time, please contact Pilgrims urgently to make alternative arrangements. Pending on prior arrangements we accept cash payments on arrival. We can only accept payment in Pounds Sterling. 

How do I pay?

Payment can be made via bank transfer or credit/debit card in GBP ONLY (£). An invoice will be sent to you with all the payment details you require as soon as you have confirmed that you will definitely be attending the course.


Is there a deposit required?

You don’t need to pay any deposit however; full course fees are due no later than four weeks before the course start date.


What types of accommodation do you offer?

We offer host family stays with breakfast and evening meals outside of the Summer. During the Summer we offer two types of campus accommodation: Self catering and residential with private bathroom. Click here

What does the Self Catering accommodation include?

The self-catering accommodation includes a single bedroom, shared bathroom facilities and the morning and afternoon tea and coffee – Monday to Friday. These rooms are in a two-storey house. Each house has 6 bedrooms, a shower room, a bathroom, toilet and small kitchen/dining area. Meals are not included with this option which is suitable for individuals or small groups of friends who prefer to cater for themselves. Each bedroom has a single bed, study desk, chair and wardrobe.  Bed linen is supplied as well as a small towel, these are changed once a week and the house is cleaned daily, Monday to Saturday. The kitchen is equipped with basic cooking utensils, cutlery and crockery. Occupants are responsible for washing their cooking utensils, and keeping the kitchen clean and tidy.  

Address: Park Wood Administration, University of Kent, Canterbury, Kent CT2 7SG

I have chosen self-catering, who will I be staying with?

We try and mix the participants as much as possible in terms of nationality and the courses they are on to ensure you are speaking as much English as possible. You will be in a house with up to 5 other participants, the houses may also have a mix of men and women, please notify staff prior if you have any requirements or wish to share with anyone in particular, we will try our best to organise this for you.


What does the Residential with Private Bathroom accommodation include?

The Residential with Private Bathroom accommodation includes a single bedroom with private shower, washbasin and toilet, tea/coffee making facilities, the breakfast and the morning and afternoon tea and coffee - Monday to Friday. Each bedroom has a single bed, a study desk, a chair and a wardrobe. You are supplied with bed linen and a small towel. Bedrooms are serviced daily Monday to Friday. Your room also has tea/coffee making facilities and tea/coffee supplies. 

Address: Keynes College, University of Kent, Canterbury, Kent CT2 7NP

Campus Information

Is there Internet access on Campus?

Yes, you can ask for a free wi-fi password when you arrive at either Parkwood Reception (self catering) or Keynes College (Residential) you will be given a form to sign and a password which will work in your accommodation and everywhere else on campus. We advise that everyone asks for a password even if they are not bringing a laptop as these will be needed for the computers in the classrooms and resources room.

Where can I get food on Campus?

For those staying self catering there is a shop right next door to the reception which is open daily, here you can buy groceries and toiletries. The main campus supermarket is across the road from Keynes college and sells most things you will need. There are also a selection of restaurants and cafes that are open daily around the campus.

How far is the campus from Canterbury City Centre?

Canterbury city centre is easily accessible by bus or alternatively you could walk which would take about half an hour. Please be aware that the Campus is situated on a hill so walking to the city at the bottom is a lot quicker than walking back up! Buses run frequently to and from the town centre though.

I’m driving; will I be able to Park at the University?

Yes, you will need to ask for your free parking permit at either Parkwood Reception (self catering) or Keynes College (Residential). If you are not staying on campus please email someone prior to your arrival who can arrange a parking permit for the University Car Parks.


Can I bring family members with me?

It is possible to travel and bring family with you, however, Pilgrims can only accommodate the course participant. Please arrange accommodation for your family. 


Can I stay for an extra night on campus?

Extra night stay is possible on campus however, this needs to be organised directly with the Hospitality Department. Please visit: for details.